Monday, July 18, 2005
( 12:02 AM ) teahouse
My parents are coming to visit me in a week. After 9 months abroad, they are returning to New York City for the summer. And they'll be crashing chez moi for the next 3 weeks.
This was the last weekend I had to myself, to prepare my mind (and my apartment) for their arrival. Here are some of the things I did:
1. I went grocery shopping to stock up on nutritious foods that will satisfy their desire for home-cooked healthy meals, and convince them that I don't actually eat out every night like all New Yorkers do. In the same vein, I consumed all of the cans of cheap beer in my fridge.
2. I hired a militantly strict house cleaner, who came in, yelled at me like a drill sergeant while wielding a mop and bottle of bleach, and within 4 hours completely overhauled my entire apartment. I don't even recognize it anymore.
3. I paid all of my bills, donated all of my trashy paperback novels to charity and sent out tons of laundry and dry cleaning.
4. I researched short excursions OUTSIDE of New York City, to tempt them to leave town for a few days so I can have some blessed time alone.
5. I cleared the History on my Internet Explorer, lest they snoop around and discover my blog (posting may be sporadic during their visit, by the way). They're not Internet savvy, but I'm not taking any chances.
6. I enjoyed walking around my apartment in my underwear, preparing for the inability to strut around in this scandalous fashion while they're here.
And, perhaps most important...
7. I tried to spend as much time with the Boy as possible, in anticipation of a lonely several weeks of not being able to have him stay over with me.
The countown continues... #