Tuesday, January 31, 2006
( 6:50 AM ) teahouse
Back in the Saddle Again
Hey, everyone..I'm back in town!
Whew, what a time it was. I'll download my photos and post them as soon as I can.
But in the meantime, here are some observations I have about our trip:
1. It was really cold. And it snowed while we were there. But it was so beautiful. And the fact that it was so cold meant I could eat lots of cheese and strudel without feeling guilty. Mmmmm, strudel!!
2. People are way into Mozart. There were concerts, people walking around dressed up as him, he was all over. Being in the city of Salzburg on his birthday was pretty amazing.
3. I had way too many of these, or as we called them, "Mozart's balls." Heeheehee.
4. Ok, Americans cannot make bread. The bread there was so good! Even the cheap stuff in the supermarkets was divine.
5. There is nothing more lovely than an evening spent seeing The Marriage of Figaro at the Vienna Staatsoper (for the first time in my life, moved to tears by the music), followed by tea and the famous Sacher torte.
6. While in Salzburg, we watched another opera by Mozart - an earlier one, La Finta Gardiniera. Not familiar with the plot, we struggled with following the story. It was in Italian but with German subtitles!
And on top of that, it was a modernized production where, instead of being a gardener girl, the main character was an employee in the Garden department of the Home Depot.
We had no idea what was going on. It was pretty funny, actually.
7. I love the Viennese breakfasts. It's all spreadable cheese and pate, cold cuts, soft boiled eggs, lots of that good bread, and amazing coffee.
8. The public bathrooms are cleaner in Austria than they are in the U.S.
9. This is the cheesiest tour I've ever done, but it was still fun. And funny.
And now I'm home. I don't want to go to work!! Wahhhhhh!! #