teahouseblossom
Thursday, May 18, 2006

      ( 9:16 AM ) teahouse
 
Cultural Immersion

I hung out with a friend of mine from law school last night. M is from the Midwest but moved to NYC last year to work in a big law firm.

She told me her mom was in town with a couple of her girlfriends. They'd arrived Monday, it was their first time in New York, and they wanted to take us out to dinner.

When we met up around 7 p.m., I asked the three ladies what they'd spent the past 2 days doing.

"We spent 7 hours at Macy's today and 6 hours yesterday!" they exclaimed happily.

"So you haven't seen anything else since you've been here?" I asked, incredulously.

"Nope," one of them replied. "It's the biggest Macy's in the world! I'm in heaven! Look," she showed me. "I got this t-shirt that says I HEART NY! Isn't it the cutest thing you've ever seen?"

Then they asked us for restaurant recommendations.

I know my friend likes Japanese food, so I suggested several really good local places.

"Hey," exclaimed one of them. "I have a great idea. If we want Japanese food, let's go to Benihana! There's one at home and it's really good!"

My friend looked like she was going to sink into the ground. "Benihana is a chain!" she said, dismayed. "You can get it at home. Why don't we try somewhere that's new? We're in New York City. There are hundreds of really good locally owned restaurants here."

"But Benihana is good!" insisted another lady. "It's so fun, and so cute how the chefs cook the food in front of you and throw it at you!"

So yeah, that's where we ended up. My first time.

But it was a fun night. We all got really drunk, and the food was pretty good. My friend was livid, but I had a really nice time, and I thanked her mom for the dinner invitation.

I'm going to take a wild guess and predict that they will expand their horizons and go to McDonald's for breakfast this morning.
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger