teahouseblossom
Friday, March 23, 2007

      ( 7:36 AM ) teahouse
 
Lost in Translation

One of my friends has parents who are always trying to set her up with friends' sons. She finds it really annoying.

Hearing her talk about it reminded me of a funny story, though.

Several years ago, my parents went through this phase where they were convinced that I belonged with the son of their best friends.

I think they had a fantasy that we'd end up married. The two sets of parents schemed and did everything possible to throw us into situations together.

They talked about him a lot, they left photos of him lying around the house. They even planned a vacation with the two families.

I remember my mom one particular morning. She and I were in the kitchen, drinking coffee and reading the paper. She was trying to be casual (but of course being anything but subtle), extolling the virtues of this guy.

"He's smart!" she said, in her broken English. "He is doctor! You are lawyer! Perfect together!"

I think I grunted and looked up briefly from my paper.

She pressed on. "And, guess what! His mom told me, he just got a condom!"

Huh?

"Mom," I said, looking at her for a few seconds. "I don't think that's what you're trying to say."

"Yes, yes!" she persisted. "He just got a CONDOM!"

"What? That doesn't make sense? And euwwwww!!!" I exclaimed. "What kind of sick individual talks to his PARENTS about stuff like that????"

"Yes, yes! She said he bought a nice condom! Three bedrooms!"

"Oh," I said, slapping my head. "You meant he bought a condo."

"Yes!" she yelled. "That's what I said! Condom! Condom!!!"

Anyway, about a year later that this guy suddenly married another girl in a BIG HURRY. I believe they have a couple of kids now.

So yeah.... apparently he really wasn't buying any condoms.
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger