teahouseblossom
Thursday, October 25, 2007

      ( 7:01 AM ) teahouse
 
Stereotypes

I do some pro bono work for a local organization, and last night I cooked 2 dishes for a potluck dinner that took place in a fancy law firm in a high-rise building in midtown Manhattan.

I'd worked from home, so unlike the other lawyers who attended, I was wearing khaki pants and my Doc Martens instead of a suit. I certainly didn't look like a lawyer.

When I entered the lobby of the office building, carrying my large containers of food, I just happened to walk in at the same time as a group of delivery people from local restaurants, making the nightly dinner delivery to the hapless law firm associates who were working late.

For those of you who have worked (or currently work) in a Biglaw urban law firm, you know what I'm talking about. Every night, like clockwork, the delivery guys show up around 7 p.m. to bring food to the associates who are stuck there working late all night. They hang out in the lobby waiting for the lawyers to come down and pay them.

At any rate, I somehow got lumped with those guys, and trapped in the lobby for a few minutes.
I finally fought my way through the crowd to the reception desk, where I explained to the security guy that yes, I was in fact a lawyer there for a legal meeting, and not a Chinese food delivery girl.

He looked at my strangely and took a long time checking my i.d. before letting me through.

In the elevator on the way up, the suited lawyers on their way to other meetings in the building looked at me strangely as well.

I'm sure they were wondering how this Chinese food delivery girl got past the front desk.

Or else, wondering whether they could pay extra in the future for food delivery directly to their offices!
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger