teahouseblossom
Monday, April 06, 2009

      ( 12:13 AM ) teahouse
 
Medicated

As many of my readers know, I've struggled with insomnia for many years.

One night last week, I couldn't sleep at all. I was up until 7 a.m.!

This weekend, an acquaintance who heard about my problem suggested I try melatonin.

Has anyone out there tried it? Apparently it's really great because it's all natural; it's the hormone that our bodies produce naturally that makes us sleepy.

This past weekend, I took my first melatonin tablet.

And it WORKED! I felt drowsy within 20 minutes.

Not drug-induced drowsy, like the sedatives my doctor prescribed make me feel.

But a good sleepy you feel after a long, hot bubble bath or a good glass of wine. When there's not a care in the world, or a single molecule of stress in your body, you get into bed and feel all wrapped up and comfy and warm, and slowly drift off to sleep.

So I went to bed happy and relaxed, and floated away on a cloud.

My last thought before unconsciousness was, "This is great. Over the counter is much better than prescription drugs from the doctor..."

And then...

I had the FREAKIEST NIGHTMARES of my life.

I had about 20 dreams in rapid succession. And man, they were WEIRD.

I was flying, and then I was riding an elephant, and my kindergarten teacher was on the elephant behind me, decked out like a Maharajah while the Husband yelled from the top of a nearby mountain, "These aren't the droids you're looking for!"

Then I was doing backflips across a desert while hyenas laughed, and their spots turned into stars that shot across the sky.

Then I was taking the SAT but I was running out of time, and trying to fill in the bubbles on the form with a feather quill pen, but then my heart was racing and I was transported into Pride and Prejudice where I became Elizabeth Bennet, but gosh, it was so hot and sweaty in Meryton!

So I threw off the covers and my heart was racing, and the Swiffer wouldn't get that darn spot out of the floor in the corner by the tv. And then the elephant came and sat on my car and crushed the roof over me, and I couldn't breathe.

And then a scary clown was chasing me through the halls of Hogwarts, shouting, "Deal or No Deal?" But I had to get to the East Side for the closing, which was scheduled to start at 3 p.m. But I ran and ran, and just got more and more tired but I couldn't seem to find Lexingon Avenue.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my heart racing. I felt like I'd just finished running a marathon and consumed too much coffee.

Yeah, forget over the counter! I'm going back to the prescription sedatives.
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger