teahouseblossom
Wednesday, April 29, 2009

      ( 12:03 AM ) teahouse
 
Resting in Peace

Over the weekend, my grandmother passed away.

Even though she was far away in Asia, and kind of out of it for the last year of her life, and in the hospital, and even though I rarely saw her and we weren't that close, I'm very sad.

My grandmother had a tough life. She was beautiful - I mean, movie star beautiful. And sweet.

But she had the misfortune to be born to poor rural farmers who desperately needed a son. So her parents gave her up for adoption.

Her adoptive parents were mean to her. They made her work very hard on their farm and didn't let her go to school.

My mom tells the story of how they were such mean and stingy people, that even the pigs they raised almost starved to death.

"Look at how skinny their pigs are!" the neighbors would say, to prove the point that these people were meaner than second skimmings.

When she was in her early 20s, my grandmother met my grandfather, who was from a rich family. He chased her even though he was already married with kids.

My grandmother got pregnant. My grandfather told her if she had a boy, he'd leave his wife for her.

My grandmother had my mom. He stayed with his wife.

My mom grew up really poor. My grandmother would sew shirts for my mom for school uniforms, out of sacks in which flour and rice were given to them from the United States government aid programs.

My grandmother worked hard - she cleaned houses and did laundry for rich ladies.

She never learned to read, but she was very proud of my mom when my mom went to college - a feat unheard of in that time and place.

To the end, my grandmother loved shopping and makeup and beautiful clothes. And she was vain. But who could blame her? She was beautiful and charming. Perhaps she could have been a movie star or model or ambassador or doctor or teacher, had life dealt her a better hand.

Wherever her soul is now, I am thinking of her and offering this, my tribute to her life.
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger