Tuesday, September 22, 2009
( 10:58 PM ) teahouse
Stop..In the Name of Love
I'm addicted to this new show on the A&E channel - Hoarders.
I can't stop watching it. And the reason is not because I like watching other people's misery - but because, well..I am kind of a packrat myself.
I'm not as bad as people who hoard animals or the Collyer brothers, but watching this show has been a wakeup call.
It's a slippery slope from "I am kind of a packrat" to "The condition of my house is so horrifying, I'm now being humiliated on national tv."
My problem is that I'm so unorganized, I lose things and then buy new ones.
So I have to stay ever-vigilant!
Last night the Husband and I went through my piles of crap and unloaded a lot of stuff out of our apartment. It made us both feel better.
Here are some of the things we found and got rid of:
1. 6 half-full bottles of insect repellent (consolidated into 2)
2. 28 books (boxed up and donated to charity)
3. 77 cds (boxed up to be sold to a used cd outlet)
4. 16 bottles of sunscreen (half thrown out as expired, the other half consolidated into 6 bottles)
5. 11 rolls of dental floss (6 put into the bathroom cabinet, 5 to be taken to work and left in my desk, to encourage me to floss regularly)
6. 19 pairs of old socks (finally thrown away)
7. 13 nail files (all but 2 thrown out, as old and gnarly and worn down)
8. 39 ball point pens (all given to a friend who's an elementary school teacher and desperately needs supplies)
9. 22 tubes of lipstick (which I kept, since they were my favorite Chanel brand that was discontinued last year and I MUST have them)
10. 8 hair scrunchies circa 1988 (7 donated to charity, 1 thrown away as having bubble gum stuck in it)
11. 9 bottles of lotion (1 discarded as expired and strange-smelling, 7 stored in the hall closet for later use, and the remaining 1 used to give the Husband a foot rub to thank him for going through my crap)
I feel much better now! #