teahouseblossom
Wednesday, October 07, 2009

      ( 12:48 AM ) teahouse
 
Lose That Useless Weight!



Last week I went to see my GI doctor.

It was a routine examination. I had some problems a few years back, and now I go to him once a year to make sure everything is ok.

This doctor doesn't have the world's best bedside manner. But he's a famous expert, and the only doctor I've found who has been able to help me with some specific problems. So for the time being, his expertise has been worth his slightly prickly personality.

This time, he spent a long time looking at my chart.

"Hmmm.." he muttered, while flipping through it. "I see here that you've gained 23 pounds since you first started coming to see me in 2004. That's quite a lot of weight you have gained, isn't it? Do you plan on having kids? If you do, your ob/gyn may not be happy about all of that weight gain."

Keep in mind that in 2004, right before my first appointment with him, the following three things happened to me in a two week span:

(1) I went through a really serious and really painful breakup;

(2) My parents announced to me that after 30 years of living in the United States, they were moving to Asia; and

(3) The firm where I was working went out of business almost overnight.

As a result of the combination of the above three events, I lost about 30 pounds in two weeks.

So yes, I was pretty skinny in 2004. And when you look at it that way, 23 pounds up from a 30 pound deficit over 5 years suddenly doesn't look so bad.

And I'm under no illusions about my weight, but I'm pretty sure I'm not obese. I'm what you'd call medium build. The last time I checked, I was a size 6.

But like in many situations, I thought of many clever retorts after the appointment. At the time, I wasn't quick enough to think of a response.

So back to the appointment. As I stood there speechless, he quickly scribbled something on a piece of paper, and handed it to me to take to Radiology for a routine ultrasound.

"Here," he said. "Take this up to the fourth floor and schedule a time for the ultrasound. The elevators are out the door and to the right."

He thought for a moment, and then said, "Actually, maybe it's better if you get a good workout and take the stairs!"

Maybe the dead weight I need to lose is one GI doctor?
#


0 comments



0 Comments:



Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger