teahouseblossom
Thursday, July 29, 2010

      ( 11:16 PM ) teahouse
 
Dilemmas!

Yes, I've been missing for a while.

That's what having out of town guests will do to you!

Some good friends came to visit last week, and we had fun taking them around the City.

Over the weekend we drove them upstate to enjoy some mountains and trees and other lovely things that are hard to find in the concrete jungle.

Heading home, we encountered a dilemma: the car was almost out of gas, and we had to pick which gas station to stop at.

This turned out to be a huge dilemma!

We couldn't go to BP because, of course, they caused that horrendous oil spill on the Gulf Coast.

We couldn't go to Exxon because I swore I'd never give them my money again, after that time two years ago I put diesel gas into my tank based on a badly-marked gas pump, and had to have my entire catalytic converter replaced at great cost.

We couldn't go to Shell because the last time I went there, the attendant left the gas pump stuck in my car but told me I was good to go, and I drove off not realizing it, and the gas pump flew out and dented my car.

We couldn't go to Lukoil because we have sworn off supporting a corrupt Russian oligarchy.

We couldn't go to Texaco because the last time I went there, the stupid teenager who took my credit card thought it would be cute to balance it on my windshield, and it fell down between the glass and the door, so now I have a credit card permanently buried inside my car door, with no way of getting it out without dismantling the door entirely.

We couldn't go to Citgo because we don't want to add to the coffers of Hugo Chavez, the very scary and dangerous president of Venezuela.

Yeah, it was a Hobson's Choice.
#


8 comments



8 Comments:



The closest gas station to me now is BP and I feel a tinge of guilt every time I fill up my gas tank!

By Anonymous Kabitzin, at 2:48 AM  

Yeah, I thought that as well, but then one of my friends told me that BP is actually quite good, since they don't get any of their oil from the Middle East...dilemmas, dilemmas.

By Blogger teahouse, at 9:10 AM  

I am sorry you are having
Such trouble with gas,
Though a Hobson's Choice
Beats a Buridan's Ass.

By Anonymous bonnie, at 1:25 PM  

Uh oh - you're not becoming one of those crotchety old people who has a vendetta against everyone for wronging you in some way, are you?

I read an article that said that when you boycott BPs, you just hurt the guy running the gas station, since all the oil gets distributed everywhere, BP just ran the well, and it's the additives at the end that make the gas a name brand. So it's likely that all those gas stations are supplying gas that came out of the Gulf Coast oil well. But I get the going against the company thing.

Which one did you pick? Or did you decide to live on the edge and just drive through the Lincoln Tunnel with your fuel light on like I like to do? ;o)

By Anonymous Sister, at 6:58 AM  

Yeah, we went with Shell and just made sure the guy took the pump out and closed the gas cap after he finished.

No living on the edge for me - I fill my tank when it's below half full. I have this nightmare about an apocalyptic future where I need the car to get out of Manhattan, and I'm out of gas.

By Blogger teahouse, at 4:31 PM  

The Texaco and Shell incidents have nothing to do with the oil companies -- just stupid NJ-ers. Maybe you should just boycott NJ, IMHO. :)

*running and evading Snooki attacks*

By Blogger Ming the Merciless, at 12:15 AM  

lol... at least you have plenty of choices over which to have this dilemma.

By Blogger m. suen, at 1:04 PM  

whoa. remind me not to ask you to take me to a gas station

By Blogger TCho, at 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment


THIRTYSOMETHING (!!) year old Asian American New Yorker, lawyer, amateur musician, curious girl taking a bite out of the Big Apple. Don't mess with me - I'm short and I look demure, but I carry a big purse. And I've just embarked on the journey of married life in Manhattan.


Currently Reading
The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie

Currently Listening To
Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante

Currently Watching
Poirot: The Clocks

E-mail teahouseblossom

Cool Blogs

Acaligurl

Annie Bunny

Anny's Life

Baby Lawyer

Be the Boy Will

Beth's Imperfect Life

Blonde Justice

Blue Poppy

Breakup Babe

Bridget's Happily Ever After

Chelle's Escape

City Wendy

Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes

Milly, Cottage Girl

Daymented

Divine Angst

The Dorsal Stream

Eclectic Blonde

Equilibrium Girl

G-Man

Geese Aplenty

Hello World It's Me

Hubsville

Jannie Funster

Jen and Tonic

Jolynn Wrapped in Pink Sheets

Juliet - Never Been Lived Before

Kabitzin

Adventures of Law Mommy

Magic Cookie

Meish

The Melman Blog

Ming the Merciless

Mrs. Mogul

Nathan's Karate Clerk Adventures

Neil, Citizen of the Month

New Orleans Daily Photo

Paige of a Book

PanaJane

Passion, Schmassion

Patricia Elizabeth

Polly and the Mooch

Robin's Pensieve

Run Jen Run

Runway Lights

Screaming Bean

Shrewness

Simply Me Ally

Sunflower Gurl

Swirly Girl

Tara Lynn

TCho's World

The Torn Pages

Transmogriflaw

Unforgiving Bitch

Virginia Belle

This is Witt

Wonkess, the Undomestic Mama



Other Links

American Orchid Society

Center for Public Integrity

Dear Abby

Frontline

National Public Radio

New York CitySearch

New York Road Runners

NOW With David Brancaccio

Rotten Tomatoes

The Movie Spoiler

archives:
Powered by Blogger